Camp Koala Counselor
Under the direction of the School Age Child Care Director / Camp Koala Director, the Camp Koala staff will provide a dynamic theme-based itinerary that includes coordinated events and activities to stimulate children’s imagination and creativity. Whether it’s cooking, arts and crafts, or youth sports and games, the Camp Koala staff will provide a memorable summer experience for children ages 3-5.
Essential Functions/Job Duties:
- Dress appropriately for job site. Includes appropriate Camp Koala work shirt, a choice of either khaki or dark pants, or shorts no shorter than two inches above the knee. Name badge. No Jeans.
- Wear hair neatly and away from the face. No dangling jewelry or visible tattoos.
- Maintain high standards of professional ethics and confidentiality.
- Maintain high standards in all interactions with children, parents, and other staff.
- Develop an understanding of the roles of other staff members.
- Maintain responsibility for cleanliness and organization of work space.
- Arrive each day ready to work. Arrival should allow ample time for setting up, making rest room trips, setting up daily activities, etc. before you are required to supervise children. Lateness must be explained.
- Supervise all activities in a way that ensures safety of all children. Understand that the safety of the children is the foremost priority.
- Participate in all Camp Koala staff meetings.
- Be imaginative and creative in designing and implementing recreational activities for children.
- Always maintain a positive attitude and show your enthusiasm for camp activities.
- Have access to reliable mode of transportation and communication.
- Keep all records and forms accurately and up-to-date.
- Punch in and out accurately before and after each shift.
Relationship with Children and Families
- Establish a positive, supportive relationship with each child.
- Interact effectively and frequently with all children. Engage all children in the planned activities.
- Clearly explain the rules to children and families and ensure all rules are followed appropriately.
- Solicit information from families about a child’s unique needs, activities and behaviors.
- Present yourself maturely and respectfully before all parents/guardians and children.
- Respond in a positive way to a sudden change in child’s mood or behavior, and redirect their behaviors properly.
- Help children to maintain reasonable cleanliness of themselves and equipment. Encourage children to assist with clean-up procedures.
Relationship with Supervisor and Co-workers
- Work collaboratively and cooperate with coworkers.
- Focus exclusively on job related tasks during camp hours.
- Assist in set-up and clean up tasks each day of camp.
- No personal calls or cell phone use allowed during your shift (except for emergencies).
- Request time off in writing directly to your supervisor two weeks in advance to receive reasonable consideration. All requests are not guaranteed.
- Violations of staff guidelines are handled as follows: first offense verbal warning, second offense written reprimand, and third violation results in immediate dismissal.
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
- This position requires education and/or experience in childcare and related fields.
- Must possess an interest in a wide array of creative and physical activities.
- Enjoy working with children and families.
- Must have a clear understanding and commitment to the purpose and mission of Camp Koala and the YMCA. Attempt to incorporate these values into camp activities.
- Must have good human relation skills and a willingness to serve children of Camp Koala and their families.
- Must possess current certifications in Standard First Aid of Massachusetts Child Care, First Aid for Children, and Infant/Child CPR.
Physical Demands: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, sit, walk and support substantial weight (approx. 15-50lbs.) with their arms. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close-up vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, and the ability to adjust focus. The noise level in the work environment varies from quiet to loud.