YMCA’S HEALTHY WEIGHT & YOUR CHILD
ABOUT THE PROGRAM
- Evidence-based lifestyle intervention for children with obesity and their families to learn how to live healthier lifestyles and achieve a healthy weight together
- 4 month, group-based (8-15 children & their families) program consisting of 25 two-hour sessions (twice a week for 10 weeks and once a week for 5 weeks) including education in a classroom setting and physical activity time for both children and their families to be active together
- Participants learn how positive behavior changes such as healthier eating, increasing physical activity, and modest weight loss help reduce risk for type 2 diabetes
- Led by two trained leaders who facilitate group discussions and educational activities, help participants set goals and develop strategies to overcome barriers to change, lead the physical activity portion of the program, and provide necessary support both in and out of the classroom
- Program begins Monday, March 25. Sessions will be held at the YMCA on Monday and Wednesday evenings at 6:00 pm.
WHO CAN PARTICIPATE?
- Children ages 7-13
- BMI in the 95th percentile
- Parent or caregiver MUST attend ALL sessions with the child
- Doctor referral is required for child to participate in the physical activity
- Open to all community members. YMCA membership not required.
- Reduce child’s waist circumference, BMI percentile and reduce both child and adult’s BMI.
- Increase physical activity/decrease sedentary behavior and help families improve nutritional choices.
- Improve child’s self esteem.
- $175 for each family (even for families with multiple children in the program)
- Payment plans and financial assistance are available to those who qualify.
HOW TO LEARN MORE OR SIGN UP
- Contact Jennifer Allen at 413-584-7086 x 125 or email@example.com
- Attend an information session: Monday, March 4 6:30-7:30 pm or Saturday, March 9 1:00-2:00 pm.