YMCA’S HEALTHY WEIGHT & YOUR CHILD
Healthy Weight and Your Child focuses on healthy eating, regular physical activity and behavior change to empower children to live a healthier and more active lifestyle.
ABOUT THE PROGRAM
- Evidence-based lifestyle intervention for children with obesity and their families to learn how to live healthier lifestyles and achieve a healthy weight together.
- 4 month, group-based (8-15 children & their families) program consisting of 25 two-hour sessions (twice a week for 10 weeks and once a week for 5 weeks) including education in a classroom setting and physical activity time for both children and their families to be active together.
- Participants learn how positive behavior changes such as healthier eating, increasing physical activity, and modest weight loss help reduce risk for type 2 diabetes.
- Led by two trained leaders who facilitate group discussions and educational activities, help participants set goals and develop strategies to overcome barriers to change, lead the physical activity portion of the program, and provide necessary support both in and out of the classroom.
A LOOK INSIDE THE PROGRAM
- For the first 20 sessions, you and your child meet twice a week with a group, including a leader focused on education and a leader focused on physical games and exercises. Here’s a look at each session:
- 60 minutes of facilitated activities and group discussion for kids and adults.
- 30 minutes of breakout groups—kids will engage in physical activity and adults will participate in activities and group discussion.
- 30 minutes of physical activity for kids and adults.
- For the last 5 sessions, you and your child meet once a week with the group and leaders. These sessions include:
- 15 minutes to collect height and weight measurements from kids and adults.
- 45 minutes of facilitated activities and group discussion for kids and adults.
- 60 minutes of physical activity for kids and adults.
WHO CAN PARTICIPATE?
- Children ages 7-13.
- BMI in the 95th percentile.
- Parent or caregiver MUST attend ALL sessions with the child.
- Doctor referral is required for child to participate in the physical activity.
- Open to all community members. YMCA membership not required.
- Reduce child’s waist circumference, reduce BMI percentile for both child and adult.
- Increase physical activity/decrease sedentary behavior and help families improve nutritional choices.
- Improve child’s self esteem.
- $175 for each family (even for families with multiple children in the program)
- Payment plans and financial assistance are available to those who qualify.
HOW TO LEARN MORE OR SIGN UP
- Contact Jennifer Allen at 413-584-7086 x 125 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The program referral form must be completed by the child’s health care provider.
- The program enrollment form and consent form must be completed by a parent.
Thank you to Health New England for their generous support of the Healthy Weight & Your Child program.